In the rugged Pyrenees mountains of Catalonia; water sports, canyoning, caving and lots more adventure sports are on offer.
Some of the favorites here include: Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Rowing, Hydrospeed/Riverboarding, Canyoning (barranquismo), Caving (Spelunking), Sailing, Windsurfing, Fly fishing, Water skiing, Para-sailing, Wake-board, and more.
Here’s a list of Catalonia’s Water Sports Highlights:
This area of the Catalan Pyrenees is a hot spot of Catalonia water sports, and a mecca for European rafters.
The Rafting and Kayaking centre for the Pyrenees, and Europe, is located in the Noguera Pallaresa.
This river, which is the most powerful in the Spanish Pyrenees, offers over 40 km of navigable water throughout the year.
There are different stretches of the river, suitable for all tastes and levels.
A good place to get information about rafting and other Catalonia water sports on the Noguera Pallaresa is in Sort, the capital of the county of Pallars Sobirà, or in Val d’Aran.
Other areas for excellent Rafting, Canyoning and Caving in the Catalonia Pyrenees are:
- The Segre
- The Segre Olympic Park in Seu d’Urgell is a centre for learning about canoeing, kayaking and rafting.
- This is also a good spot to set off on some Canyoning or Cavingadventures.
- The Noguera Ribagorçana
- It’s a course of 130 km, and forms the administrative border between Aragon and Catalonia.
- This popular destination is famous for the quality of it’s waters.
- The Escales Dam and the canyons that flow into the river provide ideal conditions for all kinds of sports.
- It’s also here that you’ll find the Viu de Llevata canyon, considered to be one of Europe’s best.
- The Freser
- The gorges of the river Freser, the Queralbs Cave stream and the surrounding area around Sadernes Montagut in the Fluvià river basin, are excellent locations for lovers of canyoning.
- The Garonne
- This river, which links together the villages of Val d’Aran, begins at the western extreme of the Catalan Pyrenees, where Beret meets Orri.It’s a great spot for all whitewater sports, such as rafting and canyoning.
- This area of Lleida, in the Catalonia Pyrenees has excellent locations, services and guide companies for all kinds of water and adventure sports.
- Here you can do; rafting, canoeing, kayaking, canyoning, hidrospeed, bungee-jumping, puenting (bungee-jumping off a bridge), and lots more.
Catalonia Pyrenees Culture Guide:
Catalonia Pyrenees County Guide: